SE MI has a Diaper Bank!

Please see my post under "News from Nonprofits" for information about the new charitable organization, The Detroit Area Diaper Bank.  http://www.detroitareadiaperbank.org

Replies to this Topic

I've worked for non-profit organizations for years & did not know diapers were a totally un-addressed problem.  I am very surprised.

The politicians must have a romanticized picture of poor women washing cloth diapers by hand, hanging them out to dry on lines and then pinning them on with oversized safety pins.  Most government programs require parents to work or go to school, but daycare places won't accept cloth diapers.

The Detroit Area Diaper Bank must save the taxpayer more money then it costs.

• Families that have sufficient / ample diapers will have babies & toddlers with fewer rashes and health problems. This will result in fewer taxpayer paid doctor and emergency room visits.
  • Families that have sufficient / ample diapers will have babies & toddlers with fewer rashes and health problems. This will result in more sleep and less stress for all family members. This will have ripple effects in less time lost at work, better performance at work, better family relations, better family health. It should even improve the parent bonding. There are numerous ways that would result in fewer costs for various government programs.
  • Families that have sufficient / ample diapers will allow their children to become potty trained at their own pace. Potty training goes much smoother when children are ready and motivated. Premature potty training causes unnecessary stress on both children and parents alike. Enabling children to train at their own pace will help both children and parents to experience success and self confidence. This will also have ripple effects that will result in fewer costs for various government programs now and into the future.

Go Detroit Area Diaper Bank!

I could not have said it better myself, Sarah, thanks so much!  Laughing

I found you through Michigan Positive, and am now spreading the word.  Bless you for this work!  Great job addressing such a need!

I used to wash my babies diapers in the bath tub...not so with disposables...the one time cost for cloth diapers is insignifiant compared to the price of the ongoing cost of disposables...I am not rich, but can donate $25 for reusable diapers..and not disposables that continute to cost beyond their useful existance!

PS...is there a spell check here?

Edited Wed, Jul 8, 2009 4:22 PM

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

Michigan Positive Community